(all maples, including box elder, and Chinese Dipteronia)
Information not available
- E Oklahoma northward to Minnesota
- Minnesota eastward to Maine
- Maine southward to NW Florida
- Absent from much of Atlantic Coastal Plain
- Scattered localities in Louisiana
Silver maple grows rapidly and is found in wet areas such as floodplains. It is often used in landscaping but is brittle and often becomes hollow due to decay. The flowers are produced in early spring before the leaves, and the seeds, with their attached wings, are the largest of any of the American maples. Autumn leaves are generally yellow.